Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Language

This post is a bit of a rant so feel free to skip it. I can't write this into progress reports or IEPs (Individualized Education Programs)or say this outloud to the people who MOST need to hear it. I realize that anyone reading this blog already did/ does these things with their children. No intent to offend. The longer I work in Special Education the more I think that 50-70% of the kids I see could be normal/ average/ typical/ non-disabled children if ONLY their parents did more parenting. Sorry! I have to say it!

-No only means no if followed by consistent demonstration of appropriate behavior/ consequences for misbehavior.
-Model the names of objects you see in the house/ toys that you play with/ items you see on walks, etc.
-Read books daily. Seriously EVERY day. It's not that hard.
-Ask your child questions. Wait for the answer. Help them word it if they don't know.
-Model what your child is trying to say when he/ she is reaching for/ grunting at/ whining/ crying for something.
-Expect proper manners from the beginning - hi/bye, thank you/ please, no hitting/ kicking/ grabbing toys, etc.
-Use the correct word for things even if your child doesn't say it the conventional way or pair it with the "baby talk" your child uses and the proper term for something (i.e. Espen says "wo wo" for pacifier because that's what was modeled at Tara's house. Eric and I model pacifier/ paci/ soothie and alternate it with wo wo).
-Show up to your kids' back to school nights, conferences, IEP meetings, etc. and reinforce the message at home that school is important.


Whew! I could go on, but I think those are the basics. I just met so many kids today who couldn't tell me how cap and hat are the same, or what poor means, or express a complete sentence about their family members. It's just freakin' sad. Not everyone has to have a disability ~ all they need is a little conversation in their lives that's not from the television.

2 comments:

Kari and Jonathan said...

Thanks for the tips! I'm still learning every day about the best ways to teach/raise/help Amelia. I also have a random question.. Will a lateral lisp go away on it's own? I know a 2 1/2 year old with one. Is speech therapy inevitable for her??

Eric and Amy said...

A lateral lisp will not go away on its own. It is always considered "atypical". It is not a developmental error. I'd say speech therapy would be very helpful - the earlier the better.