Saturday, May 25, 2013

Preschools

Tope Preschool The Tope preschool was in the modular east of the main school this year. His teacher was Colleen Purdy and the instructional assistant was Tina Calvert. The class also had an extra support person named Miss Rochelle. Espen got to learn a lot about the life cycles of butterflies and ladybugs this spring. It was pretty interesting stuff! I LOVE the school district preschool curriculum. They really work a lot on preacademic skills AS WELL AS social-emotional-behavioral development. This second piece is missing from A LOT of programs but makes such a huge difference for kids before they move on. Anymore, kindergarten is what first grade used to be and that is really sad. "We" (in education - forced by state legislature who aren't educators) are pushing academic work that kids just aren't developmentally ready for into younger grades each year. There is starting to be more talk about "Common Core Standards" for what should be taught at each grade level throughout the U.S. but it still seems to be based on test performance/ trying to compete with other nations than with teaching kids what they're ready for. I wish they looked more at how other nations are organizing their education systems and find a better compromise. Anyhoo... that conversation can go on forever and can get very heated depending on who you're talking to so I'll move on. The school district preschools that I have worked in take a direct approach to teaching children to get along. What a concept! A lot goes into it so I won't list it all here, but I'm so glad that Espen was able to "get in" since it is for children on IEPs or who are considered "at risk". Espen did have 3 risk factors and supposedly it only takes 1 at age 4 to be "eligible" and just depends on openings in programs, but I have seen kids with 6 factors (stronger than Espen's) on a wait-list. :( I wish we had enough funding in Colorado for EVERY child to get preschool before kindergarten, but some of that goes back to the fact that kindergarten isn't kindergarten anymore. He has had a fantastic year and the leaps in development he has made with his S-E-B from age 4 to age 5 has been really good to see. Preschool doesn't get all the credit because Eric and I are pretty good parents (not perfect - we all have our flaws) but I am loving watching this young boy grow up.

No comments: